Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Desert Island Top 5 Ironies: Number 4

If you have no respect for musicals, music, Nick Hornby, yourself, or any combination of the four (the last two generally being mutually exclusive), head on over to the website for the upcoming Broadway musical based on Hornby's novel High Fidelity and its simpering-heavy John Cusak film adaptation. I'm sure you'll have a ball. They've not only adapted a novel about desperately trying to hang onto your cool into the uncoolest entertainment form ever, but also adapted a story about an obsessive love of good music by telling it through the most unspectacular, cliche-ridden showtunes I've ever heard outside of parody. No, actually it's at or below the level of most showtune parodies I've heard. And I love it. I hope it makes every whiny baby-man who ever read High Fidelity's opening chapter as a way to passive-aggressively hate their girlfriend (or women in general), or got distracted by John-Cusak-as-Rob's record shelves and never caught onto how pathetic he is, cry a little bit. Or at least get mad that "their" book is getting played like this, that Hornby's sold out about as hardcore as you can get. Or better yet, both. I thought ironies on this level only ever happened in Greek myths or in Hell. I never thought I'd get to see it happen for real.