Monday, February 07, 2005

Wheels

I'm feeling totes eem today, so I tried to OC it out and listen to Earlimart, looking for the Elliott Smith that reviews I've read have lead me to believe spoons inside the grasp of their music, but for as much as Earlimart approximates E.Smith melody-wise, their lyrics are fucking terrible and what really makes Mr. Smith's songs important are the lyrics which are so Right There with you when you're sad or drunk or thinking about stabbing yourself repeatedly in the chest. What I realized I was looking for is the same thing that millions upon billions throughout human history have sought and found in religion, which is the invocation of something far greater than themselves and the submission before a power beyond the reaches of their comprehension. Which is why I've been listening to Black Sabbath on headphone blast walking around in February piss-rain, genuflecting, in my head and heart if not in actual physical practice, before the multitracked Living God of Tony Iommi's SG-through-Marshall-stacks power chord, and letting Ozzy be the paranoid head-twisted Christ for my internal torment.
My birthday is Thursday.

Soon the days went passing into years
Happiness just didn't even come so easy
Life was born of fairy tales and daydreams
Innocence was just another word
Was it illusion?
- Sabbath, "Wheels Of Confusion"

No comments: